[b-hebrew] regarding Proverbs 5:6

Gerry Folbre gerry at wetmountainvalley.us
Wed Oct 7 17:12:28 EDT 2009

dwashbur at nyx.net wrote:
> On 7 Oct 2009 at 12:43, Gerry Folbre wrote:
>

>> Karl wrote:
>>
>> "You did not make a word for word translation; you just made a
>> list of words
>>
>> and your interpretation of their meanings without making them into
>>
>> meaningful sentence that we can follow. Further, not all of us agree
>> with
>>
>> your interpretations. It looks as if you have just taken ideas from
>> your
>>
>> class and plugged them into your answer, some of us even question
>> what you
>>
>> were taught in your classes."
>>

>> With all due respect, the BHS Masoretic Hebrew Text of Pr. 5:6 is
>> composed precisely as I presented it, and I translated each word and
>> bound morpheme precisely according to Gesenius´ Hebrew Grammar,
>> Brown,
>> Driver & Briggs Heb./Eng. Lexicon of the Old Testament, and The
>> Analytical Hebrew & Chaldee Lexicon.  If that is not a word-for-word
>> translation, I do not know what is.
>>

> I would say that's a fair assessment of the situation; you really don't.  What you made is an
> interlinear, not a translation.  An actual translation would put the clauses into a form that's
> comprehensible in the receptor language, in this case English.  Note the rest of Karl's
> sentence: "without making them into a meaningful sentence that we can follow."  I concur
> with that evaluation, and I am among those who question what you were taught in your
> classes.
>
> Dave Washburn
>
> http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

Dave:  An "interlinear" is an "interpres translation."  By supplying an
"interlinear and/or interpres translation" the Source Text becomes the
focal point in stead of the individual's exposition and/or exegesis
{critical interpretation}of that text.  Having the BHS Hebrew Text
rendered directly into English in an "interlinear" and/or "interpres"
fashion enables us to separate our personal inclinations from what the
Hebrew author originally composed.  Once our personal inclinations are
set aside we then have the opportunity to expound upon the Source Text
and together arrive at a consensus regarding  how best to present the
Hebrew Text in an English exposition and/or critical interpretation.

You are among those who question what I was taught in my classes.  The
article by Sebastian Brock is one small (yet extremely important) example.

Regarding Pr. 5:6, the places where the Hebrew presents the second
person pronoun prefix, "you", that "you" would have to be referring to
the "son" to whom the "father" is speaking.

If you disagree on that point, please do so by showing how the Hebrew
Source Text indicates your interpretation.

Gerry Folbre