[b-hebrew] regarding Proverbs 5:6

Gerry Folbre gerry at wetmountainvalley.us
Wed Oct 7 12:42:33 EDT 2009

K Randolph wrote:
> David:
> One problem with the translation below, “ponder” is not in the Hebrew verse.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.
>
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 11:52 PM, David Kolinsky <yishalom at sbcglobal.net>wrote:
>

>> Dear Karl:
>>
>> with regard to what you wrote:
>> Every time I read this, I stop and puzzle over it. And when I look at
>> translations, it is obvious that I am not the only one.
>> One option is that here we have a corrupted text.
>> Another that came to me this morning is that ?? PN does not mean ?lest?
>> rather it is the imperative of ??? PNH meaning ?to face, turn towards?.
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> I would suggest that PN is indeed related to PNH always.
>> PNH means: "to show different face, to face, to turn, to give s.thpriority, to turn away, to turn out, to prepare a surface, to clear out,
>> toempty out."
>>
>> PN when we think of it as meaning lest, more specifically and literally
>> means :
>>
>> "about facing from the case that"
>>
>> Therefore:
>>
>> Gen3:3 = And you shall not touch it about facing from the case that you
>> shall die
>>
>> Gen3:22 = And now, about facing from the case that he would send forth his
>> hand
>>
>> Gen11:4 = And we shall make for us a name, about facing from the case that
>> we would be scattered about the face of the earth
>>
>> Pr5:6 = About facing from the case that she would ponder a path of life,
>> her paths wander, she would not know it.
>>
>> David Kolinsky
>> Monterey, CA

David & Karl:

The following does not follow the Source Text:

“Pr5:6 = About facing from the case that she would ponder a path of life,

> her paths wander, she would not know it.

At the conclusion of Pr. 5:6 the clause “not you know” presents us with
a 2^nd person pronoun not a 3^rd person feminine pronoun:  Lamedh Aleph
= *not* Tav Daleth Ayin = *you know*.  The 2^nd person pronoun here
would be referring to the “son” to whom the father is speaking.

The Piel {i.e. intensive} verbal clause Tav Pe Lamedh Samek = *you
intensively make smooth* {referring to the “path of life”).  There is
absolutely no 3^rd person feminine pronoun in this Piel verbal clause.
The 2^nd person pronoun here would also be referring to the “son” to
whom the father is speaking.

Karl wrote:

“The problem I have with this “translation” is that it does not follow word

for word the Hebrew text. It adds to the text.

I suspect that Karl was referring to the King James Version, and not my
word-for-word translation of Pr. 5:6.

I would suggest that examining some of the grammatical and lexicographic
sources now available to us would help clear up some of the confusion
regarding Pr. 5:6.

Gerry Folbre