[b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:6 very wild guess

kenneth greifer greifer at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 6 17:06:10 EDT 2009

Gerry,

I was thinking that the word spelled nun ayin vav could be the infinitive nun vav ayin with the middle vav left out, and the vav at the end could mean "it's" and not be the plural past ending. I think sometimes vavs are not written.

I also realize that "her paths" might say "her ways or her courses of action".

I think my translation of the quote is what the source text might say. "Life is a path. So that you will not make smooth it's wandering (life's wandering or unstable path), you will not know her path's (her ways)."

The person is warning the son in the Proverb about foreign women whose footsteps lead to death in the line before this. I think this quote might say that you won't know her ways, so you can't smooth out your wandering life with her.

I think words have more than one meaning, so it is a little difficult to decide exactly which meaning is right, but they are usually pretty close.

Kenneth Greifer