[b-hebrew] Definite articles and proper names in B-Hebrew

Gerry Folbre gerry at wetmountainvalley.us
Sat Oct 3 01:05:43 EDT 2009

I messed up again and made this reply "off list".

Ishinan asked for clarification:
"Due to a font problem, I got the usual corrupted gibberish???? As a
result I was unable to properly follow your line of thought. So please
bear with me while I ask the following clarification regarding your
response to James.
In your opinion is:
'LHYM ('LH) derived from `l or simply a synonym for deity?"

Ishinan:

It is my understanding that the Hebrew nouns ’LHYM (’elohiym), ’LH
(’eloha), and ’L (’el) are all derived from the Semitic term ’el
denoting "strength & power". These three Hebrew nouns, ’LHYM, ’LH, and
’L, are used synonymously throughout the Hebrew Old Testament in
reference to the Hebrew Deity.

I will remove the gibberish from the last few lines of my earlier post.

The proper noun Israel = Y$R’L means: Y = he $R = ruler ’L = El/God. The
plural masculine noun ’LHYM = Elohiym appears to denote the multifaceted
nature of the Israelites' monotheistic conception of their Deity.
Therefore ’LHYM can be contextually perceived as "a distinctive and
descriptive appellation (or title)" that denotes the strengths and
powers of the Israelites' monotheistic conception of their one true God.
None the less, ’LHYM or Elohiym is a common noun and so too is ’L = El,
for the Name of the Israelites" multifaceted monotheistic Deity is YHWH
{perhaps meaning: Y = he HWH = becomes and/or Y = he HWH = destruction;
e.g. Isaiah 45:7 I form light and create darkness: I make peace and
create calamity; I YHWH do all this).
With any luck I have provided you with some clarification.
Gerry Folbre