[b-hebrew] Michel on the Verb in the Psalms

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Thu Oct 1 08:48:31 EDT 2009

Dear Joseph,

The work of Michel is a "must" for students of the verbal system of
Classical Hebrew. He is one of the few scholars who have managed to
break  the straightjacket of the traditional approach to Hebrew verbs.

One strength of Michel's works is that he challenged the long-held
axiom that the nature of Hebrew verbs could only be found by
narrative texts. The fact is that the real nature of the verbs, for
example the WAYYIQTOLs, can NOT be found in narrative sequences,
because such sequences are molded after a strict form that hides the
nature of the verbs. Verbs in a typical narrative has past reference
and one action follows  the previous action. Because of the strict
form, we cannot know whether the past references are semantic (being
an intrinsic part of the verb form) or pragmatic (being caused by the
context). By definition a narrative verb form has past reference
regardless of which verb form is used. In Phoenician, for example,
infinitive absolutes are used as the narrative verb, but they have no
intrinsic past tense. Michel chose the Psalms as his corpus, and that
is a very good choice.

Michel's assumption was that a study of the use of YIQTOL and QATAL,
that is, the polar opposition between these forms, could help him
determine their meaning. His conclusion is that there is no semantic
difference between YIQTOL and WAYYIQTL, both denote consequence or
dependence. And similarly, there is no difference between QATAL and
WEQATAL, but Perfect " reports an event which stands in no dependent
relationship but which is important in itself." (p. 143)

Michel's arguments against the traditional four-component model, and
his examples are very fine. A basic weakness of almost all studies of
Semitic verbs is that they start with a particular definition of the
aspects, and this definition is forced upon the Hebrew verbal system,
so to speak. Michel has avoided this trap, and his definition of the
verb forms is a result of his studies of his corpus. However, his
definitions are difficult to test, and in my view they are too
general to be really meaningful.

Aspects are different in different languages, and only a cursory
comparison of Hebrew and English verbs, shows that English aspects
are very different from Hebrew aspects. A very fine approach,
therefore would be to use parameters that are universal, and on this
basis study the Hebrew verbal system without any preconceived
conditions. A set of such universal parameters do exist, namely,
event time, reference time, and the deictic center. Tense
(grammaticalization of location in time) is the relationship between
the deictic center and reference time, and aspect is the relationship
between event time and reference time. Thus, tense represents deictic
time, and aspect represents non-deictic time. A study of any verbal
system by the help of these parameters may give good results. and the
advantage is that we need not use any preconceived definitions.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

PS. While I was preparing to send my post, I got Randall's post. And
I would like to make some  comments: Michel does not only deal with
syntax but also with verb meaning. Contrary to Randall I am not aware
of the existence of the strange breed of animals called "poetic
verbs". I am not aware of any other language where the *meaning* of a
verb form is different in poetry and prose (What about English, for
example?) It is true that in poetry different devices are used that
normally lack in prose. These may influence the word order. But they
do not change the verb meaning! We should remember that not only the
so-called poetic books in the Tanakh are written as poetry, but also
a great part of the prophets and other books. We cannot approach 40%
of the Tanakh with the view that the verbs here have a different
meaning than the verbs in the other  60%. But all these books can be
read on the basis of exactly the same lexical and semantic approach.
I would also add that in my opinion Michel's conclusions regarding
the two-component model of Hebrew can be applied to the whole Tanakh.

RF