[b-hebrew] Where does the current masoretic text come from?

mike.sperling at att.net mike.sperling at att.net
Wed Nov 18 21:12:23 EST 2009

I am getting into Biblical Textual Criticism.  I have read Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible by Tov, Textual Criticism of the Bible by Wegner, and several articles online including those by Menachem Cohen.  What I am somehow missing, however, is where the text from which Ashkenazic Torahs are currently written comes from.  I imagine this is also the text in the Artscroll bibles and the tikkun.  I assume (wrongly, perhaps?) that it is not the Koren, Breuer, or Mikraot Gedolot Haketer editions.  It is definitely not the text of the Second Rabbinic Bible. When and from where did this text become standardized?  Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael Sperling