[b-hebrew] Qatal following Vayiqtol

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 17:23:29 EST 2009

Joel:

Rabbi Hirsch is treating the verbal forms as having temporal import, whereas
I, and I think a majority on this list, do not believe that the yiqtol and
qatal forms indicate temporality.

Here I think the sequence of events, as in most Biblical narratives, is
indicated by the sequence in which they are recorded.

As for the nomenclature, it is probably the most accurate as the forms do
not relate to grammatical ideas found grammaticalized in Indo-European
languages.

Karl W. Randolph.