[b-hebrew] Qatal following Vayiqtol

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:33:43 EST 2009

Rabbi S. R. Hirsch on Genesis 25:34 says (roughly) that a Qatal form
following a Vayiqtol form¹ is a past perfect, i.e., the translation
should be
	And Jacob _had given_ Esau bread and pottage of lentils…
with a fairly different view of what transpired than traditional
translations suggest.

Is this grammatical feature otherwise attested to?  Is it widely accepted?

1. I’m using terminology I picked up from this list; if there’s a more
standard naming scheme would someone please correct me?

—Joel C. Salomon