[b-hebrew] Is the Massoretic text reliable?

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 13:20:24 EST 2009

Thanks, Petr:

It is my understanding that these are textual witnesses.

I did see a discussion of the first one, Genesis 18:22, where the change was
noted and why: the original had the Lord standing before Abraham. But the
Masoretes concluded that the inferior stands before the superior, that it’s
not merely a spacial statement, therefore they changed the verse to say that
Abraham stood before the Lord. But I don’t have any information about the
other passages.

Karl W. Randolph.