[b-hebrew] Need help with this one

Gary Hedrick garyh at cjfm.org
Fri Nov 13 13:19:59 EST 2009

In Greek, the word is skandalizei--literally, "if your right eye should
scandalize you." The import of the word is to cause one to stumble or to
create a hindrance. "Offend" may have been a good translation in 1611 but it
isn't today.

On 11/12/09 9:58 PM, "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:

> Hi John,

The root K$L means "to fail": "If your right eye should fail you,
> poke it
out and throw it away". I haven't looked up what the Greek is, but it
> may be
that the English "offend" is a faulty translation!

Yigal