[b-hebrew] WHAT LANGUAGE DID ABRAHAM, FATHER OF ISHMAEL AND ISAAC, SPEAK?

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 23:32:16 EST 2009

On 11/9/2009 12:45 AM, Ishinan wrote:
> SCENARIO #1 -- In Genesis, Abraham appears as a Hebrew speaker….
>
> PROBLEM:  If Abraham spoke Hebrew and he was also father to Ishmael, the
> progenitor of the Arabs, then this would imply that the Arabic language is a
> dialect of the Hebrew language.

The assumption that Ishmael is “the progenitor of the Arabs” may not be
warranted.  Ishmael (along with Abraham’s children by Ketura) was sent
away and likely joined the already-existing Arab people, possibly
becoming a chieftain there.  (All this according to my reading of the
Biblical text –– or at least, not inconsistent with the Biblical text.)

Is there any source for Arab descent from Ishmael other than the Koran?

—Joel C. Salomon