[b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust

Naama Zahavi-Ely nxzaha at wm.edu
Tue Nov 10 14:44:30 EST 2009

Shalom!

The problem is that you are dealing through English with something for which there is no good English term.  I run into this problem every year as I read the text of Genesis 1-3 with intermediate Hebrew students.  "Afar," which is translated as "dust," is actually not (dry, wind-blown) dust but rather earth/soil as material -- that is, the collective term for particles of earth that one can pick up and pinch between one's fingers.  It can be dry or moist, and it can be formed.  I have not been able to find a better English word -- every possibility I can think of has other connotations that are misleading (ground?  earth?  soil?).

I also agree with Yigal's reasoning -- you can't apply Aristotelian logic to the Hebrew Bible (or for that matter to most usage of any language).  But in this case, the argument is not necessary.

Best wishes

Naama Zahavi-Ely
College of William and Mary