[b-hebrew] Verb YD( in absolute use

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 23:48:40 EST 2009

Regarding Is 43:10.
We have here verb YD( in absolute use: TD(W, you (will) know.
I checked some (English, Spanish, Catalan...) versions and I realize that
usually a "me" is inserted after "you know".

*You are my witnesses,  declares the LORD, and my servant whom I have
chosen in order that you may know me and believe me and understand that I am
He/Who.before me there was no God formed  and there will be none after me.*
I'm wondering whether this "me" is legitimate and rightful.
Indeed, no )WTY comes after TED(W.
Is this a legitimate translation of the Hebrew? Would it not rather be "you
begin to understand" "you know what the matter is", with no relation to
"me"?
Maybe this "me" is usually put here because it is induced by the "LY" that
comes after "WT)MYNW"?

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)