[b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 15:31

James Read J.Read-2 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 29 08:13:01 EDT 2009

Hi,

Quoting George Athas <George.Athas at moore.edu.au>:

> James,
>
> Thanks for bringing the evidence of the translations to bear upon
> this question.

No worries. That's what I'm here for.

> However, I believe it is unfair to second guess  Alter's motivations
> for his reading,

There really is no need to second guess. His words in the quotation in
question make it quite clear that his agenda is to show that Samuel
the prophet didn't follow Saul.

> and not really appropriate here.

Apologies if this wasn't appropriate. Jay asked why Alter chose such a
reading. Alter has provided no linguistic evidence. Just his
interpretation and his line of reasoning that Samuel wouldn't have
gone back with Saul. As I don't see Alter here defending his extremely
weak position I attempted to answer Jay's question from Alter's own
words.

If Alter has a good defense and does not consider himself above
participating in discussions on this list I would more than welcome
his response.

James Christian

> Regards,
>
> GEORGE ATHAS
> Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia)
> www.moore.edu.au

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.