[b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 15:31

Jay Frank jif95 at mac.com
Tue Jul 28 09:28:52 EDT 2009

George,

You wrote: "You know, Jim, I was almost going to agree with you (shock horror), until you claimed that Alter must think that Joseph is really only 8½ years old. Shall I email him (Alter, not Joseph) and ask him whether that is his opinion? "

I, for one, am more than pleased to see talk of 6-month years set aside, but I continue to be intrigued by Alter's claim regarding the rendering of 1 Samuel 15:31. I simply do not understand his insistence, particularly given Ruth 1:15 noted by Mr. Shead. Certainly it's difficult to believe that a person with his credentials would be so adamant without reason. If you could suggest a way I might contact the professor or, if you prefer, raise the question for me, I would be most appreciative.

Jay