[b-hebrew] sentence construction on Deu 6:4

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sun Jul 26 04:09:57 EDT 2009

Dear Oun,

In "Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar" § 132 we read: "The
adjective (like the participle used
adjectivally), which serves as an *attribute* of
a substantive, stands *after* the substantive,
and agrees with it in *gender* and *number*."
(The asterisks are used to indicate italics in
the text.)

Therefore, the most natural way to translate
Deuteronomy 6:4 on the basis of the normal
syntactic use of adjectives would be: "Listen
Israel: YHWH our God is one YHWH." If we keep in
mind that there were numerous Baals (Baal Peor,
Baal Berit...), it may not be strange to stress
that there is just one YHWH.

One example of a proper name followed by "one" is
Joshua 7:21 where we read about "one
Shinar-mantle". We have the proper name Shinar,
and before that we have the noun )DR (mantle) in
the construct  (= mantle of Shinar;
Shinar-mantle). After this expression consisting
of two words, we find the adjective  "one" which
modifies "(shinar)-mantle," and we get "one
Shinar-mantle".

Another example is Amos 8:3 where we have the
words )DNY (lord) YHWH (YHWH) RB (great) - the
lord YHWH great = the great lord YHWH.

We can also use Psalm 7:18:  $M (name) YHWH
(YHWH) (LYWN (most high) = "the name of YHWH, the
most high; the name of the most high YHWH".

An adjective following a substantive will not
always be used as an attribute. This is the most
natural interpretation of the nominal clause in
Deuteronomy 6:4. But in Zechariah 14:9 we find
YHWH followed by "one" in a different
construction. A word for word translation is "on
day that will be YHWH one." = "In that day YHWH
will be one."  Because of the verb, the adjective
in this clause is used predicatively and not in
attributively.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo