[b-hebrew] sentence construction on Deu 6:4

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 02:37:11 EDT 2009

Dear scholars,

Deu 6:4 reads in NLT which seems most sensible one among many English
translations:

    "Listen, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone."

I would naturally take this verse as:

    "Listen to this (Or, implied as 'to me, Moses'), O Israel!,
        that the LORD is our God, the LORD alone."

An extreme translation, which can be seen in ASV, Also in NWT (Listen ~),

   "Hear, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah."  (This sounds
nonsensical to me.)

I would appreciate very much your comment to help me if I propose a
different understanding of the syntax as:

   "O Israel! Listen to Yahweh our God, Yawheh alone!"

This by itself makes a good sense to me, but I'm ignorant of Hebrew
grammar and construction. I am also not sure whether this verse should
actually be same as in v. 3 which says something like 'Hear ~ (to
this) that ~".

Oun Kwon.