[b-hebrew] Question about Gen 1:1-2

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Thu Jul 23 02:35:51 EDT 2009

Gap Theory is not really subject matter that is germane to b-hebrew. So, we are all best to avoid discussion of it.

As for the Hebrew side of Marie's question, I'd argue that the proper way of indicating 'becoming' in Hebrew is HYH + L (ie. the verb HYH followed by the preposition Le). In that regard, if the earth 'became' empty and void, the text should probably have the preposition L before THW WBHW. The fact it doesn't probably indicates that the earth 'was' empty and void.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au