[b-hebrew] And Samuel turned back after Saul: the meaning of 1 Samuel 31

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Wed Jul 22 21:02:35 EDT 2009

Karl,

I am astonished that you don't know who Robert Alter is. He is one of the prime movers in literary criticism of biblical literature. His two seminal works are "The Art of Biblical Narrative" and "The Art of Biblical Poetry".

Jay,

It would not be the first time that practically all English versions get the same thing wrong. I think Zech 9.9 is another case in point, where the Niphal nwš( is never translated as it should be. It should be rendered 'saved', or 'freed', or 'liberated', but it is always translated with an active meaning.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au