[b-hebrew] Genesis 41: 1: "Two Years of Days"

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Jul 19 05:07:19 EDT 2009

Dear James,

While I personally think that Jim's theory is dead wrong, there is a huge
difference between the long life-spans of biblical characters (and those in
other works of literature as well) and the examples that you listed bellow.
Humans living hundreds of years is not only not a part of our present-day
experience. It is also totally impossible within our understanding of the
laws of nature as they stand at present. Theorizing that "nature was
different in the distant past" or the "God intervened in the cases of
certain chosen people" is a statement of faith, by its nature unprovable by
any scientific method known to us. As long as you admit that your position
depends on an acceptance of the biblical text as factually accurate out of
faith, that's fine. Comparing anyone who does not accept your faith with
children is derogatory, and has no place on this list.

Yigal Levin

Co-moderator, B-Hebrew