[b-hebrew] Gen 7:2 'by sevens' vs. 'seven pairs'

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 23:21:59 EDT 2009

Noah was told to bring in "by sevens", as in KJV (or rather, seven by
seven) (Gen 7:2).

I believe it should not be rendered as "seven pairs" (ESV, HCSB, NRSV,
etc.), neither as "seven and seven, each with his mate" (JPS).

Seeing that, I want to make sure I'm on the right track in
understanding this clearly as:

     7 of each kind of animal = three pairs (male & its mate) + a
seventh (male) to be used for sacrifice later (Gen 8:20).

I would appreciate your comment very much.

Oun.