[b-hebrew] Genesis 41: 1: "Two Years of Days"

James Read J.Read-2 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 15 10:51:02 EDT 2009

Hi Jim,

just a few questions on your 'analysis':

1) What age do you consider somebody to be a 'grown man'? I venture
that a few list members may disagree.

2) Does why do you think that the Quran acknowledging Ishmael to be 19
has a bearing? It makes no mention of whether this is 19 12 months
years or 19 6 month years that you postulate. i.e. interesting but
irrelevant (quran tradition is largely of biblical origin)

James Christian

Quoting JimStinehart at aol.com:

> Rolf:
>
> In the ancient world, a person’s age was increased by one at the New Year.
> In northwest Mesopotamia (Harran) and Egypt there was only one New Year
> every 12 months, in the spring in Mesopotamia for the harvest of
> grains, and in
> early summer in Egypt for the annual flooding of the Nile River.  But
> Canaan celebrated a New Year both in the spring, for the harvest of
> grains, and
> in the fall, for the equally important harvest of fruits.  Thus to this very
> day, the Jewish calendar has the first month of the New Year in the spring
> (in honor of the spring harvest of grains), but the first day of the New Year
> in the fall (in honor of the fall harvest of fruits).  Although the spring
> New Year is the norm internationally, in the Jewish calendar note that the
> year number is increased not at the spring New Year, but rather at the fall
> New Year.  About half of the caloric intake of the Hebrews came from the fall
> harvest, and about half from the spring harvest.  These two annual
> harvests, that is, these two New Years every 12 months, were equally
>  important to
> the Hebrews.
>
> Consider now the case of Ishmael, who grows up in Canaan, which celebrated
> both a spring New Year and a fall New Year, which were of equal importance
> to the Hebrews.  Ishmael is circumcised by his father Abraham at the stated
> age of 13 “years” (Genesis 17: 25).  Logically, that means that Ishmael had
> witnessed 13 New Years to that point:  7 spring New Years and 6 fall New
> Years.  Ishmael is stated age 13 “years”, meaning that he is age 6½ regular,
> 12-month years.
>
> Isaac is born shortly thereafter, when Ishmael is age 7 regular years.
> Isaac is then weaned at age 2½ regular years, which was the normal
> age to wean
> an important male child in the ancient world.  Ishmael is then immediately
> exiled by his father Abraham (Genesis 21: 14), when Ishmael is age 9½ regular
> years.  That is the equivalent of being age 19 “years”, in terms of
> 6-month “years”, Isaac having witnessed 19 New Years in Canaan:  10
> spring New
> Years and 9 fall New Years.
>
> One key proof of the foregoing analysis is the description of Ishmael when
> he is exiled.  Fittingly for a 9½- regular-year-old boy, (i) Ishmael is
> repeatedly called a nar/N(R/“boy” by YHWH, the angel of YHWH, and
> the narrator
> (Genesis 21: 12, 17, 17, 18, 19, 20), (ii) Ishmael is carried on his mother
> Hagar’s shoulder (Genesis 21: 14), and (iii) Ishmael cries in the wilderness
> (Genesis 21: 17).  If Ishmael were 13 regular, 12-month years old at his
> circumcision, then 3 regular years later when Isaac is weaned, Ishmael would
> be a grown man, age 16 regular years, at his exile.  The narrator would not
> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.