[b-hebrew] Translation theory and NP$

James Read J.Read-2 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 15 08:47:53 EDT 2009

Hi,

it may well be that Solomon was aged when he penned these words.
However, consider the conclusion of the document:

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear
the  God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation
of man. For the  God himself will bring every sort of work into the
judgment in relation to every hidden thing, as to whether it is good
or bad.

These don't seem like the words of an apostate with no hope in God.
They seem like an apt conclusion to a long lamentation about the
futility of pursuing a godless life. They may be the words of a young
and wise Solomon (god given wisdom) or they may be the words of an
old, wise and penant Solomon (wisdom through ageing and the experience
of having made many mistakes, therefore repentance). Either way they
do not come accross as the message of an apostate but rather as one
with a godly message:

'Live life to god (maybe with hope in a resurrection (see David's
Psalms)) as there is no activity in Sheol'

James Christian

Quoting K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com>:

> James:
> Ecclesiastes also tells us that everything is “hebele” futility.
>
> While I have had disappointments in life, life has been anything but
> futility.
>
> Some claim that this was written late in life, when Solomon was in his
> apostasy. I see no reason to disagree. As such it is included in Tanakh to
> show the futility of life without God, not as a trustworthy guide to true
> understanding of God’s ways. And that will include what will happen in $)WL.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM, James Read <J.Read-2 at sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> Ecclesiastes tells us that there is no work or play in $)WL.
>>
>>  All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no
>> work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in She´ol, the place to which you
>> are going. (Ecclesiastes 9:10)
>>
>> The idea, to me, seems to be a place of complete inactivity. A common
>> grave/resting place for all mankind.
>>
>> James Christian

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.