[b-hebrew] Translation theory and NP$

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Mon Jul 13 11:42:26 EDT 2009

Dear James,

When Martin Luther made his German translation, German was not fully
developed as a language, so he had to create new words, or chose old
words as "catchwords" signifying particular concepts. In time, all
these words were implemented in the religious and secular language,
and people used them.

When a native Hebrew speaker heard NP$,  his mental concept signalled
by the word was activated, and on the basis of the context he would
ascertain which area of the concept that was made visible. The point
with a literal translation is to find a word close to the core
meaning of the concept, and let the readers look up its references,
to the point were the diligent reader will  get a part of the
original concept in his or her mental lexicon.

If one chooses to make a literal translation, one should have Ogden's
triangle of signification in mind, with "sign," "concept," and
"reference" at the corners. In my view, it may be confusing if we
choose one of the references as the word representing the concept in
the target language. Therefore, I  do not  think "creature" is a good
choice, and "life" is even worse. The words "Sele," "soul," and
"sjel" (German, English, and Norwegian) have long been a part of the
vocabularies of the mentioned languages, so I find it to be an
excellent choice. The only disadvantage I can see, is that many
people combine immortality with it (an immortal soul), a concept that
is completely foreign to the Tanakh. But  such a choice of one
English word for one Hebrew word gives  the reader the opportunity to
have a part in the translation process, and the translation process
also consists of rejecting wrong ideas connected with a particular
word-the idea of an immortal soul will rather quickly be rejected of
the references of "sould" are looked up.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo