Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Wed Jul 8 13:26:22 EDT 2009

Dear James,

See my comments below.

> [...]
>>thus R intersects E at the nucleus. There can be reasons for making
>>just a part of the event visible, such as we see in (4).
>>
>>Perfect can be defined as "the continuing present relevance of a past
>>situation". In (2) perfect is used, and that connects the
>>walking-event with the present moment. We know that the event is
>>terminated, and the author's finger points at the end of the event-R
>>intersects E at the coda. The two hours of the walking-event is not
>>made visible, only its termination.
>>
>>Clause (3) is ungrammatical because the event is not connected with
>>the present moment. This example can throw some light on your view
>>that "tense and aspect are cancellable to the verb system of all
>>languages". I guess that if we observed people for a long time in the
>>UK or the US, we would discover one or more persons who used clauses
>>similar to (3); thus speaking in an ungrammatical way. The
>>consequence would be that "the present relevance" of perfect was
>>cancelled, and your words are justified. But we must remember that
>>this is an ungrammatical use, which means that there are particular
>>rules, and these are violated.
>>
>>This throws light on my use of "semantic meaning". I would say that
>>the English perfect (the perfective aspect) has a uniform
>>interpretation-a past event is connected with the present moment.
>>This is the use governed by grammatical rules, and counterexamples
>>should not violate grammatical rules, but they should be found in
>>normal speech situations.
>>
>>The interesting question therefore is: Can we find normal uses of the
>>perfect in English were R does not intersect E at the coda? In other
>>words, can we find examples of perfect that signals that the end of
>>the event has not yet been reached? If such examples cannot be found,
>>we should accept that English perfect has an uncancellable semantic
>>meaning.
>>

>>Best regards,
>>
>>Rolf Furuli
>>University of Oslo
>>
>>>Hi Rolf,
>>>
>>>for the benefit of the list members can you provide a quick
>>>explanation of tense and aspect as defined by your parameters event
>>>time, reference time and deictic centre with a couple of example
>>>sentences that illustrate the use of the tools?
>>>
>>>I'm fairly sure that using this same method and applying it to any
>>>modern language we would find that both tense and aspect are
>>>cancellable to the verb systems of all languages. The reason I make
>>>this observation is that while I concede that there may be an
>>>uncancellable meaning which is common to all uses of a verb form I'm
>>>pretty sure that language speakers are unaware of it when they use a
>>>verb form and are more conscious of the use they wished to express.
>>>

>Consider the following almost synonymous sentences:
>
>1) He has been in the corner for over an hour.
>2) He has been standing in the corner for over an hour.

Broman Olsen analyses 1) and 2) as "present perfect progressive,"
which means that it is a combination of the imperfective and
perfective aspects - and I agree. First E is intersected by R at the
nucleus, and then at the coda. A clause in present perfective
progressive cannot be compared with a perfect clause.

In order to find examples where the perfective aspect portrays
actions that are ongoing, and where the end is not reached, you can
only use the perfect participle - he has stood.

>Also consider the following:
>
>1) I have gone for a long time (doesn't make sense)
>2) I have been gone for a long time (now makes sense)
>3) I have known this for a long time (unlike sentence 1 this makes sense)

Where is the intersection of E by R in 3)? Please consider a) and b)
below. I do not have the intuition of a native speaker, but for me a)
is a good clause, while b) is odd and ungrammatical. In a) there is
agreement in time between "was" and "was born, and R intersects E at
the nucleus. But in b) there is not agreement between "have known"
and "was born, because "was born" is in the past and "have known" i
connected with the present. So, in 3) R intersects E at the coda.

a) While I was knowing the secret, my daughter was born.

b) While I have known the secret, my daughter was born.

We can also use fientive examples, as seen in c) and d). Here again,
I would say that d) is odd and ungrammatical.

c) While I was working in London, my daughter was born.

d) While I have worked in London, my daughter was born.

We may use other stative examples, as in e-h). Clause e)  is a fine
clause even if the stay in California terminated two year before the
utterance. But still it has a connection with the present, as seen in
f) which is odd and g) which is fine. Clause h) is odd and
ungrammatical, so again, R intersects E at the coda.

e) I have been in California.

f) The late Lord Russel has been in California.

g) The late Lord Russel had been in California.

h) While I have been in California, my daughter was born.

On the basis of your and my examples I still stick to the view that
English perfect (have + the perfective participle) has a uniform
interpretation: R intersects E at the coda.

>As I mentioned, I suspect that each language may have specific verbs
>which can cancel a default grammaticalisation because of internal
>semantic reasons like English 'think'. e.g.
>
>He works at the factory (repeated event)
>He thinks she's lying (reference limited to the present)
>
>These examples illustrate my major reservation with your work at
>this time. Have you considered the possibility of semantic factors
>constrained to specific verbs?
>
>James Christian
>
>>>James Christian

Best regards,