Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Wed Jul 8 02:38:11 EDT 2009

Dear James,

Your questions below are appropriate, so I will give a few examples.
But for my part I think it is time to stop participating in this
thread. I see no reason to participate in a discussion for the sake
of the discussion, as some do, in order to get the last word. I have
tried to concentrate on the big issues of Hebrew verbs, and for those
interested, I think it is time to read the works of Comrie, Broman
Olsen and myself.

The deictic center (C) is the vantage point from which an event is
seen. It is often the present moment or the time of writing. Events
that are not instantaneous take time, and the time from the beginning
to the end is "event time"  (E). Because of the nature of the
English verbal system, E is in most cases considered in relation to a
time line. But that is not necessary, because we can speak of "a
two-hour walk" without placing it in the past or in the future.

Communication means that the speaker or writer makes the whole event
or a part of that event visible for the listener or reader. In order
to make a particular part visible, aspects are used-in English the
participle and perfect. The parameter "reference time" (R) can be
compared to a pointing finger that points to a particular part of an
event, either after the beginning and before the end, or at the end
(the only two options in English). The small part of event time being
made visible by the pointing finger is reference time (R). To say it
in a technical way, R intersects E at the nucleus when the
imperfective aspect is used and at the coda when the perfective
aspect is used. Please consider the four examples below.

(1) She was walking in the garden.

(2) She has walked in the garden.

(3) #Yesterday she has walked in the garden.

(4) While she was walking in the garden, her husband entered the scene.

The form "was"  in (1) signals that R comes before C, which is the
present moment. This means that we know that the walking-event
factually was terminated- its end had been reached before the present
moment. However, the writer of the clause, while signalling that the
event is terminated, does not want to make the whole event visible
for his audience. He points his finger at the middle of the event;
thus R intersects E at the nucleus. There can be reasons for making
just a part of the event visible, such as we see in (4).

Perfect can be defined as "the continuing present relevance of a past
situation". In (2) perfect is used, and that connects the
walking-event with the present moment. We know that the event is
terminated, and the author's finger points at the end of the event-R
intersects E at the coda. The two hours of the walking-event is not
made visible, only its termination.

Clause (3) is ungrammatical because the event is not connected with
the present moment. This example can throw some light on your view
that "tense and aspect are cancellable to the verb system of all
languages". I guess that if we observed people for a long time in the
UK or the US, we would discover one or more persons who used clauses
similar to (3); thus speaking in an ungrammatical way. The
consequence would be that "the present relevance" of perfect was
cancelled, and your words are justified. But we must remember that
this is an ungrammatical use, which means that there are particular
rules, and these are violated.

This throws light on my use of "semantic meaning". I would say that
the English perfect (the perfective aspect) has a uniform
interpretation-a past event is connected with the present moment.
This is the use governed by grammatical rules, and counterexamples
should not violate grammatical rules, but they should be found in
normal speech situations.

The interesting question therefore is: Can we find normal uses of the
perfect in English were R does not intersect E at the coda? In other
words, can we find examples of perfect that signals that the end of
the event has not yet been reached? If such examples cannot be found,
we should accept that English perfect has an uncancellable semantic
meaning.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo