Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Tue Jul 7 04:12:58 EDT 2009

Dear Karl,

My definition of the perfective and imperfective aspects are based on
the relationship I found between reference time and event time in BH,
as outlined in my post to JR.

The general definition is: "The imperfective aspect is a close-up
view of a small section of the event where the progressive action is
made visible. The perfective aspect is a view, as if from some
distance of a great part of, or of the whole of the event, where the
progressive action is not made visible." However, this definition
does not reveal the details of the three planes I mentioned in my
post to JR.

In contrast, the English imperfective aspect is defined as
"uncompleted," and the perfective aspect as "completed".

In chapter 8  I list the following list of differences and and
similarities between the aspects:

1. Both aspects make a part of the situation visible.

2. The imperfective aspect make details visible, but not so the perfective one.

3. The imperfective aspect makes a small part visible, but not so the
perfective one.

4. The imperfective aspect can include either beginning or end; the
perfective aspect can include both beginning and end.

5. Both aspects can be bounded and unbounded.

6. The imperfective aspect can make visible a part before the
beginning (conative situations) and a part of a resultatnt state
(resulatative situations), but not so the perfective aspect.

There are many additional details that can be grasped by looking at
different examples.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo