David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 7 03:33:24 EDT 2009

>  >
>  >(By the way, you've wholly misrepresented my again -- I said nothing
>  >about the relationship between event time and the deictic centre
>  >correlating with perfective aspect! Where on earth did that come from?)
>  >
>  >Thanks,
>  >David Kummerow.
>  >
>  >>
>  >>  DK has demonstrated that he still does not understand the basic
>  >>  parameters used by Reichenbach, Comrie, Broman Olsen and myself. Tense
>  >>  is the relationship between reference time and the deictic center, not
>  >>  between event time and the deictic center. This is so because event
> time
>  >>  can start before the deictic center and continue after it. But OK, I
>  >>  agree that the whole event time in Gen 12:1 is prior to the deictic
>  >>  center. This shows that the reference is past, but not that the
>  >>  WAYYIQTOL is past tense. And there is no way to look inside the
> verb and
>  >>  know whether the whole or a part is made visible.
>  >  >
>  >>

> As seen by my words quoted above, I said that TENSE   is not the
> relationship between event time and the deictic center. I did not
> speak of aspect.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Rolf Furuli
> University of Oslo

Rolf, it was you, not me, that said
(http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2009-July/039086.html):

"But what about I Genesis 41:1-7?  In these verses
we find 9 WAYYIQTOLs and 6 participles. In all
instances event time comes before the deictic
center. On the basis of the the definition above,
the participles should also be perfective. Is
that correct?  And what about the hundreds of
YIQTOLs where event time is prior the the deictic
center? Are they also perfective? If not, how can
we know?"

Such was a misrepresentation of what I had said because I did not speak
in reference to perfective.

Regards,
David Kummerow.