James Read J.Read-2 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 05:32:50 EDT 2009

Hi David,

that's all very interesting stuff David but you still haven't answered
the question. Both Rolf and I (and no doubt a number of silent list
members interested in the discussion) would like to hear your case of
why you consider the verb form in question to only be able to have a
past perfective sense. You have, to this date, provided no linguistic
evidence for this claim other than argument by translation which you
have concurred with me to be meaningless.

James Christian

Quoting David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com>:

> Hi James,
>
> Yes, I agree. Linguistic typology gets around this to some extent by
> semantic mapping methodology. I actually presented on this very topic at
> an academic conference this week!
>
> Regards,
> David Kummerow.
>

>> Hi David,
>>
>> I would be very interested in hearing an answer from you to the question
>> posed.
>>
>> Argument by translation doesn't really seem to make any sense. When we
>> translate we frequently choose the forms that make sense in the target
>> language. e.g. Italian andavo can be translated in English as 'I went',
>> 'I was going' or 'I used to go' depending on the context.
>>
>> James Christian

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.