David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 5 01:12:31 EDT 2009

> David:
>
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM, David Kummerow<farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> There are major problems I see with David’s criticism. To list a few:
>>>
>>> One that I note, namely, that the difference between a dialect and a
>>> cognate language is only one of degree, not of kind.
>> Karl, please provide linguistic substantiation on this point.
>
> I’ve had to deal with both cognate languages and dialects in three
> languages I speak (not counting Biblical Hebrew), hence for you not to
> recognize the validity of the above statement shows greater ignorance
> of linguistics than I expected. If you want literature to back up my
> statement, go back to the Brothers Grimm, who did much of their work
> with dialects for that very reason.
>
> If I find your claims untrustworthy in areas where I can check up on
> them, why should I trust your claims in areas where I can’t check up
> on them?
>
> I see no reason to continue this discussion.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

Hi Karl,

Seems like your argument carries little weight as you fail to provide
the substantiation requested. You know, I can just level the same
criticism at you: your claims are untrustworthy and without basis in the
areas of language I am familiar with, so why trust you when you simply
give a linguistic opinion without proof. There have been substantial
improvements to linguistic science since Brothers Grimm -- linguistic
typology wasn't even a discipline! Come on, if your linguistics is that
out of date there's really no point in continuing this discussion.

Regards,
David Kummerow.