David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 4 09:01:17 EDT 2009

> Driver did not accept that the form "only could
> be past perfective" as DK has claimed.

Hi Rolf,

Please don't misrepresent me. I've never claimed that WAYYIQTOL could
only ever be past perfective. If you'll read my review again and my
other article you'll see otherwise. Besides, if I were to hold such a
view I would already have demolished my own position with my argument as
to the unsuitability of viewing semantics as uncancellable meaning!
Please read my statement in context -- it refers solely to Gen 12:1 and
no further.

I note that in your post you're still running with the principal of
uncancellable meaning and that your isolated contexts are revealing the
uncancellable meaning/semantics of WAYYIQTOL. Still no discussion of Gen
12:1. Again: please show how it and other cases like it is imperfective
under your analysis. Please don't turn the question around -- the
question is for you and your analysis. How can wayyo'mer in Gen 12:1 be
construed imperfectively? And how might such an imperfective analysis be
rendered in English translation, since "And he said" is past perfective?

Thanks,
David Kummerow.