David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 4 05:36:21 EDT 2009

> I will continue with )MR in my next E-mail.

Hi Rolf,

Great -- because although your email is very long, you never got down to
dealing with the actual question posed, viz. that the first verb of Gen
12:1 can be construed imperfectively.

 > Ignoring the points above, DK takes one root, )MR, and asks for one
 > example where we can see that this verb is imperfective and has
 > cancellable properties.

Actually, I would prefer to be shown how 'mr in wayyiqtol conjugation is
consistently imperfectively throughout the corpus, like what I was
asking in the first place. Gen 12:1 simply arose because James wanted me
to conduct a test on part of the corpus myself. I though, well why not
Gen 12-15? And I floundered on the first verb. Of course, I know that in
your opinion there are only a small number of verbs in the corpus which
allow for seeing the uncancellable meaning. But like I said in my
review, I think this is quite doubtful given the evidence brought
forward in the linguistic literature concerning token frequency etc. and
the fact that uncancellable meaning as a linguistic principal is
entirely questionable. In any case, even in knowing what you wrote, I
still fail to see how wayyo'mer of Gen 12:1 can refer to anything other
than a past perfective speech act.

Regards,
David Kummerow.