David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 3 19:46:02 EDT 2009

> There are major problems I see with David’s criticism. To list a few:
>
> One that I note, namely, that the difference between a dialect and a
> cognate language is only one of degree, not of kind.

Karl, please provide linguistic substantiation on this point. That is a
big claim you are making and one which I don't think is supported in the
linguistic literature.

> So when he uses a
> dialect as an argument to try to prove his point, it is the same kind
> of argument as if he had used a cognate language, differing only in
> degree.

No, Karl, that is not what I have done. I have not used dialect itself
as an argument, but the system of language use within a dialect. It's
analysed synchronically, so it's treated in and of itself. There's no
problem then with using these examples.

Further, I presented actual language examplles from other languages, not
dialects. But you simply went silent on them -- why?

> That he absolutely refuses to acknowledge that fact (his
> example of “plod”) undermines his argument. That’s why I stopped
> responding to him.

No, it doesn't undermine the argument for reasons stated above and
elsewhere in response to you. Your claim is unsubstantiated. (And I note
that you failed to address Martin Shield's criticism with your position.)

Regards,
David Kummerow.