David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 3 19:19:34 EDT 2009

Hi James,

> Hi David,
>
> I don't know if you realise it or not. But with the analysis of the uses
> of plod in Australian and English variants of English you have shown
> that you do not disagree with their having an uncancellable meaning. But
> rather that you disagree with what that uncancellable meaning is.

No, that is not what I said and is a misrepresentation of my view. I
explicitly stated the opposite:

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2009-June/038988.html
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2009-June/038993.html
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2009-June/038989.html

I do in fact strongly disagree in defining semantics as uncancellable
meaning. (Why would I be arguing this point again and again if I thought
otherwise?) The way forward is defining semantics prototypically, not
uncancellably.

> Of course, as we have already agreed. Everything can ultimately be
> cancelled. We just need to make a new usage and get enough people to use
> the word in the new way and we've cancelled the meaning. But as Karl has
> already pointed out I don't think Rolf was ever suggesting that
> languages do not evolve in this way. He was analysing a very specific
> snapshot of the language.
>
> James Christian

Regards,
David Kummerow.