Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Fri Jul 3 07:39:39 EDT 2009

Dear James,

I started my analysis of Classical Hebrew verbs in 1990, and I
defended my dissertation in 2005. My data material consists of lists
of each verb form, finite and infinite, with pre-past, past, present,
present completed, future, future perfect and modal meaning, book for
book and verse for verse in the HB, in the DSS and in Ben Sira. In
addition, there are notes regarding which verb form precedes and
follows the analyzed form, and also other information regarding
particles etc. This is particularly so in the lists that were made
after 1995. This material is not tagged, but a computer expert has
told me that by using a modern program, it would be rather easy to
convert the whole material into a tagged data base. But before that
can be done, some work on the lists would be necessary.

I work with the verbal systems of the different Semitic languages
when I teach them, but my focus for some years has not been on verbs,
but rather on the analysis of Akkadian cuneiform tablets,
particularly astronomical tablets that are used for chronological
purposes. It is natural for me to try to walk on new ways and
challenge accepted ideas. I have published two books on ancient
chronology where I argue in favor of an expansion of the Neo-Assyrian
and Neo-Babylonian chronology and of adjustments of the Persian
(Achaemenid) chronology. Because of this other work, and because new
tablets are continually being published, I have not taken the time to
convert all the list into one tagged text. So I cannot supply you
with the index you ask for.

However, in my dissertation, 2,106 Hebrew passages containing 4,261
verbs (1,402 WAYYIQTOLs, 887 YIQTOLs, 78 WEYIQTOLs, 769 QATALs, 315
WEQATALs, 280 Infinitives, and 530 participles) are discussed and
analyzed. Here you will find all you need to make tests. And I think
this will be a better place to conduct the test than on a computer,
because my method is described in detail, and because there are
arguments in connection with each example.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo