[b-hebrew] cancellable dynamicity

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Fri Jul 3 04:38:48 EDT 2009

Dear Karl,

I have not continued to participate in this thread because I think it
is a waste of time to discuss something that is settled. You have
made many good observations in this thread, and of course, to discuss
whether a particular word has an uncancellable property has a little
more merit. But again, I prefer to discuss more important matters.

I will illustrate my answer regarding the Hebrew participle with an
observation regarding the English aspectual system, where I take the
participle as the imperfective and perfect as the perfective aspect.
In verbs marked for dynamicity, durativity, or telicity, the
uncancellable factor is a characteristic or property of the verb.
Regarding English aspects the uncancellable factor is a relationship.
Broman Olsen (1997:59) says:

"situations with marked lexical aspect features have a uniform
interpretation in each grammatical aspect form (imperfective and
perfective), whereas the interpretation of situations unmarked for a
given feature vary."

We note that "the uniform interpretations" relate to  situations
where the the participle and the perfect  are used as predicates. The
"uniform interpretation" of the participle does not refer to the
participle per se but  to its use as a predicate in a clause. So,
participles used as adjectives are no counterexamples of the uniform
interpretation, because they have no aspectual properties. And the
same is true in Hebrew and other Semitic languages. The same root can
be used as a verb, a substantive, an adjective, and sometimes even as
a preposition. So only when the Hebrew participle functions as a
verb, we can speak of uncancellable properties. A participle used as
an adjective or as a substantive is something different.

Then back to uncancellable relationships and the English aspects. I
have already given one example of a participle used to signal a
completed action, But it was used as a counterfactual effect in a
poetic context. Broman Olsen claims that each of the English aspects
has a uniform interpretation. In order to falsify that claim, one has
to find normal situations where the participle and the perfect have
exactly the same interpretation, i.e., where the participle signals
completed action and the perfect signals uncompleted action. If such
situations cannot be found, we have before our eyes an uncancellable
grammatical relationship.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo