[b-hebrew] 1Q287 and the Tanakh at Deut. 32:43

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jan 31 19:24:56 EST 2009

Dear Gary,

Let's please not be cynical. Your question is more about the NT than it is
about the Hebrew Bible.

In any case, it is widely assumed that the writers of the NT used the
Septuagint (or something like what we call the Septuagint) as their "Old
Testament", so it would be only natural for them to quote the Septuagint
version of this verse, which does include the phrase "Be glad, O heavens,
together with Him, and do obeisance to Him, all angels of God". The Qumran
version, at least according to Abegg, Flint and Ulrich's The Dead Sea
Scrolls Bible, is ".... all you gods". If I had to guess, I'd assume that
the Qumran version is earlier, and that the Greek version(s) that we have
today, which are all based on manuscripts that are later than Qumran,
actually "cleaned it up" by replacing "gods" with "angels of God". As to why
neither version appears in the MT - probably scribal error, simply
"skipping" a line.

Yigal Levin