[b-hebrew] Daniel and history

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Fri Jan 30 05:17:55 EST 2009

Dear George,

When we do scientific research we cannot start from scratch and do as
Rene Descartes, saying "Cogito ergo sum". But we have to use
conclusions drawn by others as helping hypotheses. However, the
problem is that some of these conclusions are repeated over and over
again, and they are never tested. That is the reason why I said that
when we study Daniel, or any other book in the Tanakh, we both have
to ask what the Hebrew text really says and to ask whether the
history by which it is tested is reliable.

In the book of Daniel we find one saying that clearly is at odds with
the universally accepted history, and that is chapter 9, verse 2. In
this verse we learn that in the beginning of the Persian kingdom
Daniel read about the 70 years when Jerusalem would be desolate. The
same information is found in 2 Chronicles 36:21 where it is said that
Jerusalem was a desolate waste for a full 70 years. Using the rules
of lexical semantics, grammar, and syntax I am not able to  see any
other meaning in the two passages than that Jerusalem was a desolate
waste for a full 70 years. Yet, the history leaves only 49 of 50
years for Jerusalem's desolate condition (and some say Jerusalem
never was desolate). Is Daniel and the Chronicler wrong?

I have used a lot of time to scrutinize this question, and my
conclusion is that the universally accepted history rather than
Daniel is wrong! And I have published a book of 370 pages to show
this. In this book I reproduce a page from a French book on
chronology from 1818. The Neo-Babylonian chronology of this book is
exactly the same that is found in modern textbooks and lexicons. How
can this be at a time when no archaeological finds had been made? The
answer is that the chronology of Claudius Ptolemy was accepted on the
basis of faith, without any empirical evidence to bolster it. This is
faith and not science!

In the second part of the 19th century cuneiform tablets were
unearthed.  Because I know the scientific literature of this time I
can say that these tablets were interpreted in the light of the
chronology of Claudius Ptolemy, and the chronology of Ptolemy was
viewed as confirmed by these tablets. But of course, this is circular
reasoning! Then, in 1915 information about a new cuneiform tablet,
VAT 4956,  with celestial positions and the years 37 and 38 of
Nebuchadnezzar was published (P. V. Neugebauer and E. F. Weidner "Ein
astronomischer Beobachtungstext aus dem 37. Jahre Nebukadnezars II
(-567/66)". And it was claimed that this tablet without any doubt
confirmed the chronology of Ptolemy. This tablet is the backbone of
the present Neo-Babylonian  chronology and the view that the nation
of Judah was only 49 or 50 years in exile in Babylon .

This philological, linguistic, and astronomical study of VAT 4956 was
published in 1915, but after that time no similar study has appeared.
In 1988 a transliteration of the signs on the tablet and an English
translation was published (A. J: Sachs and H. Hunger "Astronomical
Diaries and Related Texts from Babylonia Vol I diaries from 652 B.C.
to 165 B.C"), but they did not publish a scholarly study of the
tablet. This means that for 90 years the conclusions of Neugebauer
and Weidner have been repeated over and over again, an no one has
published a critical study of this important tablet!  When we review
this situation today from a scientific point of view, we may ask: Can
we trust the conclusions made in 1915, and the indirect confirmation
of them  in 1988? The problem in connection with an answer is that
very few persons today master the Akkadian language, and even fewer
are experts in connection with the Akkadian astronomical language.
And because of Systemzwang, these few tend to uphold the traditional
viewpoints. So science may in a way deadlocked.

I have taught Akkadian for more than a decade, and I have studied the
language of astronomical Diaries and other astronomical tablets.
Moreover, because I have modern astronomical programs and colleagues
at the University who are astronomical experts I have been able to
deal with the tablet in a scholarly way. I took high resolution
electronic pictures of the tablet at the Vorderasiatische Museum in
Berlin, and on the basis of these pictures I have carefully studied
each of the more than 600 cuneiform signs on the tablet. Thus, I have
been able to test the 1915 results of Neugebauer and Weidner.  My
conclusions are very different from their results. My basic finding
is that that quite a lot of the cuneiform signs related to the
planets and to the stars and star constellations are difficult to
read, and when that is the case, the signs are often applied to the
celestial bodies that are expected by modern computations. But this
may be circular reasoning. Another finding is that the 13 lunar
positions fit perfectly the year 587/86 but the fit is not so good in
567/66, which is Nebuchadnezzar II's 37th year according to the
traditional chronology. On this basis I suggest an expansion of the
Neo-Babylonian Empire by 20 years, and that would fit the words of
Daniel and the Chronicler. Corroborating this is a list of about 90
dated contract tablets, which, taken at face value destroy the
traditional Neo-Babylonian chronology, because the reign of each king
was longer than believed. Have I by these findings proven that the
traditional Neo-Babylonian chronology is wrong? No, because ancient
chronology and history cannot be proven. But this study of mine is an
alternative to the traditional scheme and deserves to be studied
carefully.

  I have used this example to illustrate that when we find information
in the book of Daniel or in other books of the Tanakh that are
believed to be at odds with our accepted knowledge of history, we
both need to study the Hebrew text carefully, in order to ascertain
what it really says; and we also need to ask whether the accepted
view of history is reliable. Only after a careful study of both, we
can draw balanced conclusions.

>---
>
>I must say I am very, very surprised to read this. There are
>numerous historical difficulties with Daniel. And contrary to your
>claim, we know quite a lot about the last days of the Neo-Babylonian
>Empire. We have documents aplenty. And the difficulties are not
>limited to Darius the Mede. And even if they were, your position
>above sounds quite evasive.
>

>Regards,
>
>GEORGE ATHAS
>Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia)
>www.moore.edu.au

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo