[b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Tue Jan 27 11:14:41 EST 2009

Dear George,

As usual I find your comments balanced, and I
would like make some comments of my own. The
comments turned out to be rather long, but I hope
they may be of interest to some list-members

An important point to remember is what is called
"Systemzwang" (the obligation to conform to the
system). The problem is not the situation itself
- Systemzwang works more or less in all areas of
society, not only in Academia - but the problem
is that people are not aware of it. When students
start their University studies, they are given a
set of conclusions, and in order to get their
exams, they must accept these conclusions- they
must conform to the system. Usually the
curriculums require so much reading and work that
the students have little time to do independent
thinking. So many students to some extent simply
are parrots, and they do not realize it.

In the introductory studies of Hebrew, for
example, students learn the traditional view of
Hebrew verbs with  WAYYIQTOL as a past tense, and
they have few opportunities to make critical
tests of the view. So the student continues to
believe in what he or she has been taught all the
years at the University. And if the person later
becomes a university teacher, this is what his or
her students are taught. As for me, I started my
studies in Semitic languages as a grown man,
after I had done some studies in the natural
sciences, where I  learned the principle that we
always should start with the study of the
smallest units. Therefore I did not buy
everything I was taught, but I did some
independent studies myself. In linguistics, a
fundamental distinction is the one between
semantics and pragmatics, i.e., which meaning is
caused by intrinsic properties of the parts of
language, and which meaning is caused by the
context. In the study of verbal systems, this
means that we need scrupulously to distinguish
between *time* and *tense" (grammaticalized
location in time"). In other words, when a verb
form very often has past reference (this is its
time), is this caused by an intrinsic property of
the verb for itself, or is it caused by the
context. I was really shocked when I realized
that no study of the Hebrew verbal system (or of
the verbal system of any of the old Semitic
languages) with a systematic distinction between
time and tense existed. This caused me to make a
study of all the 80.000 finite and infinite verbs
of Classical Hebrew where a scrupulous
distinction between time and tense was sought.
And the result was a dissertation suggesting a
completely new understanding of the verbal system
of Classical Hebrew.

On the background of the points above I proceed
to the Documentary hypothesis, the hypothesis of
the Deuteronomistic History, the three-author
views of Isaiah, and the view of a second century
writing of the book of Daniel. I group these
together because they have something in common
pertaining to the issue regarding the Silver
scroll, and because they are excellent examples
of the principle of Systemzwang.

In 1689 Campegius Vitringa (Observationes Sacrae)
suggested that when Moses wrote the Pentateuch,
he used several old sources. This was a logical
suggestion because of the nature of the material.
Jean Astruc (1684-1766) suggested that what Moses
wrote down were delivered from father to son for
several hundred years before it was written down,
and he distinguished between what scholars today
call J and E.  J.G. Eichorn (1780-1783) continued
the work of Astruc, and later K. H. Graf and J.
Wellhausen proposed more radical theories, which
led to the Graf-Wellhausen hypothesis (the
Documentary Hypothesi). However, a very important
change was introduced some place between Vitringa
and Wellhausen.

The views regarding the author(s) of the book of
Isaiah throw light on the mentioned important
change. J.C. Döderlein (1745-1792) introduced the
view that Isaiah 1-39 had one author, and
chapters 40-65 had another author. Why? Because a
prophet by the name of Isaiah in the 8th century
could not foresee details regarding the fall of
Babylon 200 years later (BTW, there are details
about the fall of Babylon in chapters 1-39 as
well). (B. Duhm (1847-1928) suggested that
chapters 56-66 was written by a third author).
Here we are at the core of the issue. Both the
natural sciences and the humanistic sciences deal
with natural phenomena, and metaphysics is
excluded. The questions about the existence of
God or gods are metaphysical questions, and
therefore they are barred from scientific
research. So the scholar who wants to do
*scientific* research in the Bible must do so on
the basis of a non-god approach. It is of course
a rather ironic situation that scientific
research on a book where all the authors indicate
that they got a part of, or all their messages
from God, must a priori exclude God. But this is
science! It is possible to do some source
criticism without excluding God - Vitringa, for
example, believed in God. But the modern approach
has no room for God. So, both Bryant and Karl
have a point when they say that faith has played
and plays a fundamental role in connection with
the Documentary Hypothesis, and the same is true
with the Deuteronomistic History and the writing
of Isaiah and Daniel. Let me elucidate this.

Interestingly, the question regarding the
existence of God/gods, even if it per se is a
metaphysical question, can be approached
scientifically. The Tanach exists and we exist,
and both must have an origin. The origin of the
Tanakh is studied scientifically on a basis of an
a priori exclusion of God, but what will the
result be if we also approach the question of
human origins scientifically? Many years ago I
did just that, and my work with the questions
equals 4 full semesters of study.

In the natural sciences the hypothetic deductive
method is used: A hypothesis is formed, and it is
tested on the basis of its predictions. If the
predictions turn out to be wrong, the hypothesis
is falsified. But if they turn out to be right,
we have not proven anything, because there can be
so many different causes of particular phenomena.
However, we have made the hypothesis more likely.
Now, if we have a situation where we can be
certain that there are only two possible answers
and one is falsified, the other answer must be
the right one. In connection with origins we have
such an ideal situation. The origin of life on
earth is either caused by chance (a random
accumulation of matter) or by one or more living
entities outside of the earth.

To study the question one has to do the following.

1. Calculate the amount of  atoms of the elements
occurring in living matter that occur on the
earth (carbon, phosphorus, hydrogen etc).
2. Make calculations regarding the amount of
energy that could come from the possible energy
sources on the young earth (particularly the
sun), because energy is necessary for a synthesis
of matter.
3.On the basis of quantum mechanics find out
which quantum of energy each atom (and
biomolecule) can absorb (most energy quantums are
rejected)
4. Find the equilibrium constants of each element
in water (how much of the matter can be dissolved
in water before it starts to precipitate),
5. Apply all the relevant physical and chemical
laws to all the possible young earth scenarios.
6. Apply the laws of probability and calculate
how much complexity/information that is possible
to accumulate on the basis of chance (how many
bits of information a molecule can get by chance).

These are some of the main approaches, and I did
follow these. The conclusion I reached was that
it is completely impossible to the completely
impossible degree that even one of the smallest
proteins could evolve by chance, let alone a cell
that are hundreds of million times more complex
than a protein. One the basis of my study I was
forced to conclude that the hypothesis that life
originated by chance was falsified. Therefore,
the other possibility must be true - the origin
of life was caused by one or more living beings.
But scientifically speaking, the living being(s)
need not be the God of the Jews.

What bearing has this on the Documentary
hypothesis? Well, it indicates that the
scientific a priori exclusion of God in biblical
studies is either based on a strong faith - that
what is scientific impossible one time happened
after all, or it is based on Systemzwang - one is
ignorant of the impossibility of the origin of
life by chance, but one conforms to the
scientific system where this is believed by most
people. So, those who believe that the Bible is
inspired by God build on faith, but the same is
true of those who take a strictly scientific
approach without God.

I see no problems in doing scientific source
criticism of the Tanakh on the basis of an a
priori rejection of the existence of God -
provided that all parts (the scholar, the
students, and the readers) are aware of this
premise. Only with an awareness of the premises,
can the conclusions be rightly evaluated. But the
problem is that the reality is different, and the
students very often are not told about the basis
for the accepted conclusions - a basis that is
nothing but educated guesses.

Martin Noth introduced in 1943 the hypothesis
called the "Deuteronomistic History". It is
believed that Joshua, Judges, 1 and 2 Samuel, and
1 and 2 Kings constitute one independent
historical work, with Deuteronomy as an
introduction. It is further believed that an
author living in the exilic period gathered
together a variety of oral and and written
traditions and put these together as one
comprehensive work. What is the evidence?
Absolutely no hard data, only educated guesses!
But I am quite certain that in European
universities the Documentary Hypothesis and the
Deuteronomistic History are presented to
theological students almost as facts, and they
are not told that these hypotheses build on a
strong faith, (diametrically opposite of the
Jewish and Christian faith) and on educated
guesses.

There are several different approaches to a philological study of the Tanakh:

First, we have the approach of the
fundamentalists, who believe that each word in
the Bible is dictated by God, who a priori reject
a scientific study of the book, and who believe
without doubt everything that each book says.

Second, we have the the strictly scientific
approach, where all that is metaphysical is
excluded, and the sayings of each book regarding
its author and when it was written at the outset
is doubted or rejected.

Third, we have what may be called a cautious
philological approach. This approach neither  a
priori rejects God, nor uses God as an alibi ( or
as an "excuse") when they meet problems in the
text. But those using this approach cautiously
accept what the text says until data definitely
showing that some saying is wrong emerge
(evidence from silence is not accepted, i.e., "no
evidence is found for this or that, and therefore
the information regarding it in the Tanakh is
unreliable").

Personally I prefer the third approach.  And what
do we find when we follow this approach? We find
that the claims of Deuteronomy that there was a
man named Moses who wrote the books, and the
claim of 1 Kings 6:1 that this happened 479 years
before Solomon started to build his temple, i.e.,
the writing occurred in the 15th century B.C.E.,
cannot be falsified by evidence. And further, we
find that the claim of the book of Isaiah (1:1)
that the book was written by one prophet called
Isaiah in the 8th century B.C.E., and the claim
of the book of Daniel that a prophet called
Daniel received visions and wrote these down in
the 6th century B.C.E., cannot be falsified.
Everyone is free to reject the mentioned claims,
and the point here is not to argue that the
claims are true, but rather to show that those
rejecting them do so on the same basis as the
fundamentalists belive in them, namely, on the
basis of faith! This is also true in connection
with supernatural reports, such as Joshua 10. It
requires much more faith to believe that life
developed by chance - something which is
completely impossible - than to be open for the
possibility that the light of the sun was
reflected by some means and was seen on the earth
almost for a whole night. (I remember a plan from
the Vietnam war to place a satellite with huge
mirrors above the country, in order to reflect
the rays of the sun and make parts of the country
lighted up during the night.)

Then what about the silver scroll?  I agree with
the words in one of Yigal's earlier posts:

"What DOES this find prove? It proves that a forumla very similar to Num.
6:24-26 was used as a blessing in late Iron Age Jerusalem. It does NOT prove
that the entire text of the Torah was already known. It does NOT prove that
Num. 6:24-26 was recited by priests in the Temple. It does not even prove
the existance of Solomon's Temple. All it DOES prove is that the author of
whatever source Num. 6:24-26 was taken from knew of a blessing-formula and
used it as part of his composition."

This is a balanced scholarly assessment, but -
and this is important - it is the same kind of
assessment I use when I say that the data we have
at present do not contradict the writing of Moses
in the 15th century, of Isaiah in the 8th
century, and of Daniel in the 6th century.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo