[b-hebrew] Mem in the Middle of the Word

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 23:36:24 EST 2009

Brak,

> I need help with two words found in two places.
>
> 1chr 15:13 - word 2: <L:/MA/B.F/RI)$OWNFH>
> 2ch 30:3 - word 11: <L:/MA/D.AY
>
> Is the root of the <MA> either <MIN> or <MFH>  as different sources say
> one or the other?

HH: The sources I checked (Keil & Delitzsch, Kohlenberger, Bibleworks)
say that the -M represents MaH, as part of the phrasal word LMH = on
account of (Le + MaH). Sometimes L plus M can involve the M representing
MiN, but I guess not here.

> Since all the other occurrences of the prefixed <M> are classified as
> the preposition <MIN>, to me it would seem that these two as well would
> be <MIN>. So I am wondering why it being a prefixed pronoun <MFH> (this
> would make these the only occurrences of a prefixed pronoun) is claimed
> by some.
>
> So in the context of accepting the masorah of LC, what is the meaning of
> this prefixed <M>?
> If it is <MFH>, how does one explain the presence of a prefixed pronoun?

HH: The word LMH means "why," generally speaking. MaH can mean "what."
"Because at what was in the beginning (it was) not you." The Levites
were not carrying the ark in the beginning. That's why the wrath came.

HH: I too wondered whether it could not be L plus MiN referring to the
originating point in time, but this would call for Hireq or Tsere under
the M, not Pathach.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard