[b-hebrew] Dtr1 insertion in 2 Kings 9:7-10

LM Barre l_barre at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 15:55:23 EST 2009

Here is an example of how Dtr1 used sources but edited them to suit his purposes.  The destruction of the northen kingdoms of Jeroboam and Baasha are said to have occurred because they did not worship in Jerusalem.  Jezebel's death is also portrayed here as "predicted."  The study of such texts is called redaction criticism.  Dtr1 is basically a framework into which he used various sources, like the Elijah-Elisha cycles.  Here he is using what called be called, The Apology of Jehoiada (9-11*).

1 The prophet Elisha summoned a man from the company of the prophets and said to him, "Tuck your cloak into your belt, take this flask of oil with you and go to Ramoth Gilead. 2 When you get there, look for Jehu son of Jehoshaphat, the son of Nimshi. Go to him, get him away from his companions and take him into an inner room. 3 Then take the flask and pour the oil on his head and declare, 'This is what the LORD says: I anoint you king over Israel..' Then open the door and run; don't delay!"
 4 So the young man, the prophet, went to Ramoth Gilead. 5 When he arrived, he found the army officers sitting together. "I have a message for you, commander," he said.
      "For which of us?" asked Jehu.
      "For you, commander," he replied.
 6 Jehu got up and went into the house. Then the prophet poured the oil on Jehu's head and declared, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'I anoint you king over the LORD's people Israel.

[7 You are to destroy the house of Ahab your master, and I will avenge the blood of my servants the prophets and the blood of all the LORD's servants shed by Jezebel. 8 The whole house of Ahab will perish. I will cut off from Ahab every last male in Israel—slave or free. 9 I will make the house of Ahab like the house of Jeroboam son of Nebat and like the house of Baasha son of Ahijah. 10 As for Jezebel, dogs will devour her on the plot of ground at Jezreel, and no one will bury her.' "]

Then he opened the door and ran.

Lloyd Barré
http://freewebs.com/lmbarre