[b-hebrew] Sorting senses of $M(

dana densmore danadensmore at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 26 16:24:08 EDT 2009

Thanks, Karl!

It does seem to me that in the Ex.19:5 phrase )M $MW( T$M(W BQLY we have to be talking about listening not obeying primarily, because of the BQLY, and merely hearing doesn't seem right because of the emphasis of the infinitive construct in $MW( T$M(W.

Can we, in general, get any help from the following preposition, where one is present, or from the absence thereof?  It doesn't seem to be universal, but is there a clue in some form like when the $M( verb is followed by B: it is more like listening, or L: or (L perhaps more like obeying?  Or if no preposition, perhaps with )T, more like hearing?  I already know this is way too pat and convenient.  But does one get at least some sort of feel based on the preposition or particle?

Dana Densmore

Karl W. Randolph.