[b-hebrew] Tense and aspect; was: "The use of "

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Thu Apr 23 03:23:12 EDT 2009

Rolf,

I wonder whether you are accepting an assumption about Hebrew without subjecting it to scrutiny. Please correct me if I'm wrong in how I'm reading you:

You ask whether WAYYIQTOL represents past tense. However, in asking this, are you importing the standard convention of Indo-European languages, which tell stories in past tense? That is, how do you know that Hebrew tells stories with a basic past reference? How do you know that Hebrew doesn't tell stories in present tense, such that WAYYIQTOL is effectively a present tense?

Feel free either to answer, question, or go to town on me.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au