[b-hebrew] Tense and aspect; was: "The use of "

Stoney Breyer stoneyb at touchwoodcreative.com
Wed Apr 22 08:15:13 EDT 2009

Rolf :

'It is important to distinguish between tense and time/temporal reference.
All languages have different means to signal whether an action is past,
present, or future. But first when the temporal reference is an intrinsic
part of a verb form,  can we say that a language has tense. Therefore, tense
is defined as "grammaticalized location in time".'

This seems to be unnecessarily restrictive. Isn't simpler and more
productive to treat 'tense' as a component of the utterance, a component
which may be realized either grammatically or lexically — or, redundantly,
both — or even (as often in English, and I am beginning to suspect in
Hebrew) left unmarked?

Stoney Breyer
Writer*
Touchwood Creative | www.touchwoodcreative.com
3200 Locust Street, St. Louis, MO. 63103
tel: 314-421-9878 x103 | fax: 314-421-6276
stoneyb at touchwoodcreative.com
*ein Mann ... dem das Schreiben schwerer fällt als allen anderen Leuten.
-Thomas Mann