[b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Tue Apr 21 23:37:06 EDT 2009

Scuba diving, eh? Some of us have time to kill... ;)

It’s the yiqtol that conveys habitual action in the past. For example, 1 Sam 2.19 uses a yiqtol, תעשה, to describe Hannah’s habit of making the boy Samuel a robe to wear, which she would take to him each year. To me, this action is realis. However, since we are not focusing on one particular instance of this action, our vIew of the action is indefinite. Therefore, as far as habitual past action goes, ‘indefinite’ seems to fit.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au