[b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Tue Apr 21 23:27:13 EDT 2009

On 22 Apr 2009 at 12:25, George Athas wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Good question. I like the realis/irrealis distinction, and often use
> it to supplement my definitions in the classroom. The only qualm I
> have with it is I'm not sure it adequately describes habitual action
> in the past. Such actions are, to my mind, realis. To see them,
> however, as indefinite, I think overcomes this problem.
>
> I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

I confess there's a lot of recent discussion that I haven't been following (too focused on
scuba diving!).  Could you expand a couple of things for me:  which form(s) do you see
denoting habitual action in the past, and how do you define "indefinite" in the context that
you're using it?

Dave Washburn