[b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Tue Apr 21 15:32:10 EDT 2009

Dear Yizhak,

The onus of definition is on the one who uses a particular term. I
have never used the terms "general action" and "specific action," but
you have used them, so they should mean something to you. I do not
find the terms in David Crystal's "Dictionary of Linguistics and
Phonetics," so I challenge you to show that the terms are meaningful
linguistic terms.

The use of the verb forms in Hebrew clauses can be analyzed in
different ways. We can look at their position in main clauses and
subordinate clauses, as foreground and background information, as
occurring in telic, dynamic, and static clauses, as occurring with
singular and plural objects, with definite and indefinite objects and
so forth. But all this is pragmatics, it is dependent on the context.

But the issue we now are discussing is semantics, that is, has the
verb forms particular intrinsic meanings that never can be cancelled?
To use your terms: Do the YIQTOL *always* express "a general action"
(and you have to define the term)? If you do not define the term you
use and show that this is always a characteristic of the YIQTOL, your
arguments in your previous post are nonsensical.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo