[b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21

Joseph Justiss jljustiss at msn.com
Mon Apr 20 21:19:09 EDT 2009

Karl

Thank you for responding. If the context is refering to present realities wouldn't this necessitate translating the Yiqtol with a present tense though? The context does seem to be refering to the past. This and the evidence from the versions is very powerful to suggest a past reading. I was just wondering if there was any more grammatical evidence other than context to guide us in knowing when a Yiqtol may be refering to the past. Does X Yiqtol ever do this, or are past reference Yiqtols usually clause initial?Also, verse 26 in the immediate context seems to be predicting that one day after this the city will once again be called the city of righteousness and the faithful city. I just thought perhaps this X Yiqtol construct (a construction which very often has a "+ projection") might be doing the same thing, i.e. functioning as a little tiny insertion of a "predictive narrative" as Longacre likes to call it.

Thanks

Joe Justiss