[b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action

Richard Benton rcbenton at wisc.edu
Thu Apr 16 18:07:17 EDT 2009

Dear George,

Yes, it sounds like you see my point.  In the past, some authors have
jumped from this observation to the idea that the Hitpael is reflexive,
but you can't make that leap necessarily.  Often languages make clear
distinctions between the middle and the reflexive, even though they are
related.  (Slavic languages, such as Russian, do so, as well as others
on every continent.)  Furthermore, often the middle overlaps with a
passive function, and we see this in Biblical Hebrew.  (IBHS lists some
good examples.)

Cheers,
Richard Benton