[b-hebrew] Updating & Archaizing

Keith McCune mccunes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 04:29:43 EDT 2009

*Dear Colleagues,

I just read today this comment in the fascinating IVP "Dictionary of OT
Historical Books" (p. 659):
"A complicating factor in...diachronic analysis of biblical Hebrew
involves...scribal updating... or archaizing."

The claim here is that scribes sometimes substituted either a form more
modern than the original (something like " 'ani" for " 'anoki" perhaps) or,
on the contrary, a form older than the original (perhaps in the interests of
adding greater authority).

Here's my question:  Can someone give me one or two strong, clear,
undisputed examples of this in the biblical text?

Yours,

Keith McCune
*